Deals, a new SDX and more!*

Upgrading to Superior Drummer 3 from EZ3

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Andrew Payne
    Participant

It is very easy to add extra instruments in SD3 (including toms). I run a 4 racktom and 2 floortom e-kit system and have successfully used 2 tom SDX kits and added extra (user instrument) toms to bring it up to 6 toms. Depending on the original sizes and tone of toms in any particular SDX (or SD3), I will go up and/or down in tuning for the added instruments and adjust transients and other variables in the drums tab to get each of the 6 toms sounding good (and natural) and also play with the interval between each. You can then alter ambient channels etc to further tailor the sounds.

I fully recommend SD3 over EZD3 if you want this flexibility to have more toms. The ability to “dial up” sounds is awesome although it pays to invest some time into learning how it works and then what you can do is almost limitless !! You can also use toms from different SDX libraries to mix and match as well depending on what you are after.

Happy to show a few examples if you want. cheers, Andrew

Dell Precision 7730, i7 6 Core 2.6 GHz, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 3 x 2TB SSD, Cubase Pro 13, SD3 plus a variety of SDX's and EZX's, Orchestral Percussion, EZBASS, RME BabyFace Pro FS and KRK V4 monitors. Modified Yamaha DTX900 triggering SD3.

Olof

Yes, you can use all EZXs and EZD3 core libraries in SD3.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

Andrew Payne
    Participant

Just thought I’d give an example. It is Custom Shop EZX used in SD3 so see attached screenshots – this illustrates what Olof said. Only “negative” with EZX in SD3 is the loss of the original graphics for the drums you see in EZX and they all show as black in SD3 – but for sound who cares ! (Actually I do but it looks like the graphics for EZD/EZX can not be maintained in SD3/SDX as per this note: 

I can only echo Toontrack Support. EZXs show with black kit piece color. This is not a bug. It is due to different graphic design for each program. S3 has dynamic graphics and EZD2 uses static images. Do to this being a fundamental design, I can’t say if anything can be updated.

)

One screenshot shows the original 3 tom kit and you can see the user instruments (toms) I have added. As the racktom is 13″, I have used tuning of + 6.4 for tom 1,  +3.4 for tom 2, original tuning is tom 3 and -3.0 for tom 4. I have added the transient effect to each one to alter attack and sustain to get them to sound like they are a 4 tom set. Similar to a 10″ 12″ 13″ 14″ racktom setup.

Second is to show the original user mics (in blue) and the additional user mics (in white) I have created with similar bleeds to the original tom these were copied from. Keeps all the additional toms sounding as part of a set.

Third is to show even more flexibility to route the above channels to buses with appropriate effects and sends (parallel compression and reverb) and then to individual outputs to output as multi channels in my DAW. You can literally build whatever “kit” you want. Hope this helps.

Dell Precision 7730, i7 6 Core 2.6 GHz, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 3 x 2TB SSD, Cubase Pro 13, SD3 plus a variety of SDX's and EZX's, Orchestral Percussion, EZBASS, RME BabyFace Pro FS and KRK V4 monitors. Modified Yamaha DTX900 triggering SD3.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.