Deals, a new SDX and more!*

Electronic EZX – browsing sounds

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • soundsgood
    Participant

in addition to the requests for easier browsing, i’m totally baffled by the naming conventions for the pads. for example:

– at the lower left, i see pad #13. but wait — there are FOUR pads with #13. no — make that FIVE. (with?)
    – ok, so i’ll call that one 13LL (for lower left). but when i click on it, the actual name for that pad is “Xtra 16.”
    – then, the adjacent pad is also numbered “13.” but the actual name is “Xtra 12.”
    – the next one is numbered 12 (12LL for me), but the actual name is “Xtra 8.”
    – in the center of the left half (and again on the right half) is a group of three, half-circle-shaped pads. three pads — but only TWO numerals for them: 7 and 8.

i feel like i’m in the twilight zone, here… i’ve looked for help documents, but i see only two: “EZX-Doc.pdf” (which is only credits) and “EZX-Keys.pdf” (a keyboard layout). every other EZX has been intuitive. but this one is nothing short of alien. (no pun intended, despite the design of the interface.)

what am i missing here, guys? seriously…

godprobe
    Participant

re: multiple pad #13s, etc. — that confused me at first too, but there *is* a reason for those numbers; they correspond to the numbered Microphone channels in the mixer (this is not easily apparent in the Superior interface vs. the EZdrummer interface).

Also the actual pad numbering (“Xtra 8”, “Xtra 12”, etc. is (after taking General MIDI into consideration) in the order of the default piano keyboard layout).  On your MIDI keyboard, Xtra 9 will be on an ‘A’ note with Xtra 10 being on an ‘A#’, Xtra 11 being on a ‘B’, etc.

I assume the layout in EZdrummer itself is for reasons of sonic similarity and visual symmetry.

(And on the main topic of easier browsing… I agree with that one. 🙂  I don’t know if Electronic will get an update to address that, but for Number 1 Hits, I think the similar concept was executed in an easier-to-navigate way.)

WinXP | Fireface 800 | Variax | Axe-Fx | Toontrack | Komplete | Reaper http://www.godprobe.com/projects/notemaps/

soundsgood
    Participant

ORIGINAL: godprobe

re: multiple pad #13s, etc. — that confused me at first too, but there *is* a reason for those numbers; they correspond to the numbered Microphone channels in the mixer (this is not easily apparent in the Superior interface vs. the EZdrummer interface).

Also the actual pad numbering (“Xtra 8”, “Xtra 12”, etc. is (after taking General MIDI into consideration) in the order of the default piano keyboard layout).  On your MIDI keyboard, Xtra 9 will be on an ‘A’ note with Xtra 10 being on an ‘A#’, Xtra 11 being on a ‘B’, etc.

I assume the layout in EZdrummer itself is for reasons of sonic similarity and visual symmetry.

(And on the main topic of easier browsing… I agree with that one. 🙂  I don’t know if Electronic will get an update to address that, but for Number 1 Hits, I think the similar concept was executed in an easier-to-navigate way.)

thanks, godprobe.

shortly after posting, i did figure out the mixer-channel numbering scheme. but then, that also means there’s absolutely no way to identify any given pad! i was auditioning sounds for the first time and making note of those i like (a toggling-checkmark feature beside the drum names would help), but had to devise my own naming scheme for the pads.

i generally love toontrack’s products; i own MANY of them… but this frankly is the most poorly conceived interface i’ve ever seen. one wonders if they actually used the product before releasing it. for that matter, how did they refer to the various pads while even designing the interface? (“let’s put these sounds under the 6th pad from the right at the bottom”?) and the lack of documentation further enhances the frustration.

i do appreciate your info on the general-midi layout.

the number of comments and views in this thread indicate shared sentiment. though i bought the library recently, this thread was started in 2009. still, no interface adjustments have been made. so, i can’t say i’m optimistic.

thanks again.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.